20 Year Old Tawny Port by Cockburn

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Marc J.

20 Year Old Tawny Port by Cockburn

Post by Marc J. »

Upon opening, the first thing that I noticed the nice light brown color of the wine. Although given the color I was expecting more on the nose, but it really didn't offer much more that very light nutty aromas. On the palate I was overwhelmed by the spirit along with very subtle hazlenut notes in the background. I can't quite explain it but at this point it doesn't seem to be as developed as many 20 year olds. At decant + 2 hrs. the spirit has begun to integrate and a bit of dried fruit is starting to peek through and the finish is a bit longer than what I experienced initially. At decant + 4 hrs. this wine is really coming into its own! The hazlenut and dried fruit dominate the palate along with a bit of vanilla, the nose is now full and expressive and the finish is long, smooth and quite enjoyable. 91 pts.

Marc
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: NV Cockburn 20 Year Old Tawny

Post by Roy Hersh »

Marc,

I have not had this particular bottling in some time. How did you like it on day 2 and thereafter, did it get progressively better or did it remain similar to your earlier impression?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Re: NV Cockburn 20 Year Old Tawny

Post by Marc J. »

I found that it improved quite a bit over the next few days. I must say that I was somewhat disappointed by my first few glasses, but over the course of the next couple of days there was quite a bit of development and it ended up being a very tasty 20 year old.

Marc