It's been hot, real hot!

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

It's been hot, real hot!

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yesterday it was 105 where I work and today is forcast to be even hotter in the L.A. valley areas at 111 degrees [help.gif]

Not fun at all, this is hot, hot, hot and working outside yesterday I felt like an egg on a skillet. Being sick with a summer cold also didn't help the situation. It's suppost to cool down a little starting saturday or sunday, which I am hoping for [beg.gif] Needless to say, no drinking for me till it cools down a little and this cold goes bye bye.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Re: It's been hot, real hot!

Post by Frederick Blais »

55 with bright sun this morning in Montreal :) I had such a great night of sleep with windows open and a good hot blanket :lol:
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

It's supposed to be 75 with light showers here in Seattle today. [cheers.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I'm heading to the airport as we speak and I'll bring some Port to drink too :wink:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

The Seattle Port Authority has been notified to turn back anyone bearing one or more bottles of Pink Port... :P
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:The Seattle Port Authority has been notified to turn back anyone bearing one or more bottles of Pink Port... :P
Thanks for the heads up, I put it in a 2003 Croft bottle instead :evil:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Where are you headed Andy? Or just picking someone up?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Where are you headed Andy? Or just picking someone up?
I was just joking that I could catch a plane up there to get out of this heat. My feet are firmly planted until they leave for Portugal in October!

Although last weekend I did visit the brother and fiance in Oakland for a few days...she works for an airline and sent me a free ticket to come visit since I won't have the opportunity to see them until the holidays. Free trips are always nice. The best part was she could hand carry my wine bottles on the plane...no checking them on [notworthy.gif]
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

100+ degrees this afternoon......no Port, just cold beer. Although being my birthday weekend I was planning on opening up a nice bottle of Port, but that just isn't in the cards!

Marc
Symington Family

Post by Symington Family »

Same in the Douro. Its not been a particularly hot summer, but rainfall is lacking. The skins are still thick and the berries will start to raisin if there is not rain. Should the picking begin early, before the Baumes shoot ever higher? Or hold out for rain to plump the berries and soften skins? Thank god all I have to do is market this wine. If I was a winemaker, I would be going grey (faster).

Opened a bottled matured Smith Woodhouse '95/99 tonight. What a stunner. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Also had a Chateau Fieuzal '06 (red) and a glass of PinAlta '05 (a gracious gift). The PinAlta needs more time in bottle but showed characteristic Douro strength.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Marc J. wrote:100+ degrees this afternoon......no Port, just cold beer. Although being my birthday weekend I was planning on opening up a nice bottle of Port, but that just isn't in the cards!

Marc
Marc,

Happy birthday [cheers.gif]

Last night was cold beer at the Chivas v. Galaxy game. A good game, but the beer sure hit the spot. Today is another scorcher of 100+ I feel bad for all those firefighters here in L.A. battling that massive wild fire. I think it's over 20,000 acres now
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Marketing Symington wrote:Same in the Douro. Its not been a particularly hot summer, but rainfall is lacking. The skins are still thick and the berries will start to raisin if there is not rain. Should the picking begin early, before the Baumes shoot ever higher? Or hold out for rain to plump the berries and soften skins? Thank god all I have to do is market this wine. If I was a winemaker, I would be going grey (faster).

Opened a bottled matured Smith Woodhouse '95/99 tonight. What a stunner. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Also had a Chateau Fieuzal '06 (red) and a glass of PinAlta '05 (a gracious gift). The PinAlta needs more time in bottle but showed characteristic Douro strength.
Thank you for the update.

Can you let us know who you are though, it would be much appreciated. Thanks