crazy birthday idea

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Paul_B

crazy birthday idea

Post by Paul_B »

Hi all,

well I've spent lots of google time to compile the list of Ports for my birthyear 1967. Now that I have what I think is fairly complete list. I've decided on a life long project to drink them and then scratch them off my list as I go.... some are downright impossible to find except at the cellars themselves so guess I have one more reason to take one of Roy's and Mario's trips...since they are proabably not for general sale and will require some arm twisting to purchase one once we are in the cellar in question.

I will buy a special note book /journal and capture not just the tasting notes but the story on how I get each of the bottles or the chance to taste them if it isn't my own, dates, names of those tasting it with me etc... This should be a fun project and a nice notepad to read for those port lovers that appear later on my familiy tree.

I'm off to a pretty bad start as two colheitas where generally available in Quebec and Ontario and I missed out on buying them as this idea only came to me recently.

if you can correct or add to the list, please reply here. If your selling something from this year send me a PM.

Thanks
Paul

1967 Cockburn Vintage,
1967 Joanna's Port (by Cockburn) Vintage
1967 Croft Roeda Vintage
1967 Messias / Cachao Vintage
1967 Fonseca Guimaraens Vintage,
1967 Nacional Vintage,
1967 Noval Vintage,
1967 Martinez Vintage
1967 Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage (bottled in 1969)
1967 Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage (bottled in 1970)
1967 Royal Oporto Vintage
1967 Sandeman Vintage
1967 Krohn Vintage
1967 Robello Valente Vintage
1967 Offley Vintage
1967 Rozes Vintage

1967 Romaneira Colheita
1967 Feist Colheita
1967 Barros Colheita
1967 Royal Oporto Colheita
1967 Noval Colheita
1967 Kopke Colheita
1967 Dalva Colheita
1967 Barros Colheita
1967 Krohn Colheita
1967 Niepoort Colheita
1967 Messias Colheita
1967 Porto Croa (by Pocas Junior)
1967 Pocas Junior Colheita
1967 Quarles Harris Colheita
1967 Presidential Colheita
1967 Arnsby's Colheita (waiting for confimation from Wiese & Krohn)
1967 Rocha Colheita
1967 Porto Souza

1967 Royal Oporto Late Bottled Vintage
1967 Taylor LBV
1967 Real Vinicola LBV
1967 Real Companhia Velha
1967 Hooper's LBV
1967 Guedes LBV
1967 Pocas Junior LBV
1967 Spratley & Cia LBV
Last edited by Paul_B on Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:55 am, edited 6 times in total.
Eric Menchen

Re: crazy birthday idea

Post by Eric Menchen »

Ambitious yes, but I wouldn't call it crazy. The Rocha Colheita is available at one of my local stores. Looking at wine-searcher.com, I think a trip to the UK may be in your future.
Paul_B

Post by Paul_B »

several of these are in the UK according to wine searcher...

Could have been worse, atleast it isn't a year where each bottle will require a bank loan... or a year that only has a handful of options... like hen's teeth.
If I can get to enjoy 1 per year for say the next few years I will be satisfied. I think with a sample size like this I actually stand a chance of finding some and enjoying some.

cheers
paul
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Paul,

What a great idea!

I have only had 7 of these bottlings but it is such a fine and often overlooked vintage. Might be 8 but I can't find a note anywhere in my stash on the Sandeman albeit I could swear I've tried that one too.

Anyway, if you should ever come along with us to Portgual, I can assure you'll get to try some of these as long as you remind me of my promise!

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Paul,

This is a great idea to do. Yes some of them may be very difficult to find, but at least this year doesn't command to premium prices that say 1963 or 1966 does. There are a few very fine bottles in that list you will really enjoy drinking, if you can find them.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Daniel R.

Post by Daniel R. »

Paul,

what a fun project! I am working on a less ambitious project: buying bottles from my birthyear to drink on my birhtday(s). My problem is that I was born in a difficult year - 1973 - and have found very few Ports....

Daniel
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I don't know if you have a friend in the US that can get these to you, but this week winebid.com has
1967 Cockburn, starting bid at $105
1967 Quinta do Noval, currently at $60
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

You can do it! Take a photo of each bottle too.

I have had 6 on your vintage list and probably none on the Colheita or LBV list.

Kopke has a '67 Vintage. I am sure there are a few other big brands that may've slipped by your list.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

There are two different bottlings of the 1967 Taylor Vargellas - one was bottled in 1969 and the other in 1970. You might want to try to find both of them!
Glenn Elliott
Paul_B

Post by Paul_B »

thanks for the updates on the vargellas I will update the list...
still looking for confirmation on that kopke 67 vintage, I can see the 66 vintage and of course the 67 colheita is well known but I'll keep looking.

/paul
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Paul_B wrote:thanks for the updates on the vargellas I will update the list...
still looking for confirmation on that kopke 67 vintage, I can see the 66 vintage and of course the 67 colheita is well known but I'll keep looking.

/paul
Maybe there isn't one then? I looke in google and saw reference. Never had it personally, so I am not 100% on that.

All of the Taylor Vargellas 67's I have tried have all been flawed. Usually baked. Granted, the 3-4 bottles I tried could've been from the same case, but I do not think so. I would be gun shy buying unless you know someone who has had one from the same source.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote:All of the Taylor Vargellas 67's I have tried have all been flawed. Usually baked. Granted, the 3-4 bottles I tried could've been from the same case, but I do not think so. I would be gun shy buying unless you know someone who has had one from the same source.
I had a very nice bottle last month - wasn't baked or flawed in any way. It was one of the "late bottled in Oporto in 1970" bottles. It needed a good long decant to fully integrate, but was drinking fine after 4-6 hours and was fantastic on the second day.
Glenn Elliott
Paul_B

Post by Paul_B »

Moses, you are right there is a Kopke 67 Vintage but it was bottled in 1997! a "vintage tawny" Atleast that is what I read in Michael Broadbent's vintage wine book.
I just found a reference to the Rozes 67 Vintage and Offley 67 Vintage... a chart published by AEVP so I will update the list.

cheers
paul
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

30 years in wood? That's a Colheita, not a Vintage Port. In the really old days (1800s) they used to bottle Port after 5, 7, 10 years or sometimes more and call it Vintage Port, but that stopped in the 20th century. There's still confusion, though, because the terms for the various kinds of Port - particularly what we now call Colheita - weren't standardized until much later.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Paul_B wrote:Moses, you are right there is a Kopke 67 Vintage but it was bottled in 1997! a "vintage tawny" Atleast that is what I read in Michael Broadbent's vintage wine book.
Glenn E. wrote:30 years in wood? That's a Colheita, not a Vintage Port. There's still confusion, though, because the terms for the various kinds of Port - particularly what we now call Colheita - weren't standardized until much later.
And Kopke labeling in particular is guilty of contributing to this confusion. I own a bottle of 1960 Kopke Colheita. The front of the bottle reads "PORTO KOPKE 1960 PORT," and the label on the back says "PORTO KOPKE \ 1960 PORT \ MATURED IN WOOD SINCE 1960 - BOTTLED IN 1999." We know that makes it a colheita, but it doesn't say that anywhere on the label.
Lars F

Post by Lars F »

Great idea to make such a list and to make it a quest to taste them all. I might have copied your idea, but being from '73, well, I'm done :D

-Lars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Lars F wrote:Great idea to make such a list and to make it a quest to taste them all. I might have copied your idea, but being from '73, well, I'm done :D

-Lars
That makes 3 of us my brothers. Not much in the way of 1973 to list :(
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Paul_B

Post by Paul_B »

I feel for you guys, 1973 is indeed a year with few options...

Noval LBV
Taylor Crusted
Casa Santa Eufemia Old White Reserve
Real Companhia Velha Colheita
Real Vinicola Colheita

Perhaps you can "cheat" and include ports that were BOTTLED in 1973 which would increase the number by including for example many colleitas and Niepoort Garrafeira 1931

I wonder if the low output in 73 was not related to the social and political and economic environment building up to the Carnation Revolution in April 74. Ior if the weather was really bad that year...

cheers
Paul
Daniel R.

Post by Daniel R. »

Real Companhia Velha and Real Vinicola are the same one making it worse... There are very few 1973 Madeira as well. Oh well..

Good question, I have no idea but I would guess bad weather. Unrest was really bad in 1975/1979 so I guess it could have affected VP but would not have been an issue for Colheitas and the only Colheita I am aware of is the Real Companhia Velha.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

what a great idea Paul... good thinking!

The list of my birthyear would be slightly longer than the '73 guys, bt not by much: 1976. At least there is one really good VP that I know of: Fonseca Guimaraens. I have tried it once and have a 2nd bottle in the cellar already. I have also tried 2 of the 3 Colheitas I have found. Sadly, the 3rd fell to a sirline baggage accident... [dash1.gif]

Todd