1937 Moreira Colheita Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Kevin B. Kelly

1937 Moreira Colheita Port

Post by Kevin B. Kelly »

I had this port last month, here are my notes:

Medium to deep garnet-orange with an orange amber rim with good clarity although there was some particulate matter. Fragrant of alcohol, cane sugar, marzipan, and toffee with a hint of acetone at the edges. Light in sweetness and acidity, this was a pleasant colheita, with medium body and toffee, caramel, and marzipan flavors, with some old wood and acetone showing up on the rather short finish for a wine of this age. Drinkable, I had expected more, but some of the colheitas of greater age from this producer have lots of faults. This had a few, especially on the short finish, but fewer than some of the younger colheitas. 88

Tis a very pleasant wine, as most colheitas from this year have been, and it is very difficult to beat the quality-to-price ratio for this wine. Although I bought my bottle for about $130 in the U.S., Schneider's had it earlier this year for about $80 a bottle when the prices for Moreira ports dropped suddenly across the board. Although most retailers dropped their pricing, they quickly raised them back up to their former levels.

The only problem with Moreira that I have found is their inconsistency, some of their colheitas I have rated as low as 68/100 for their 1966 colheita, and as high as 88/100 for their 1937. It may be possible that there is incosistency between bottles as well, who knows...

This tasting note is one of several related tasting notes. Click [here] to see the original note in context.