Which Port glass do you prefer?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

xxxMonique Heinemans

Which Port glass do you prefer?

Post by xxxMonique Heinemans »

I wonder what type of glass most of you Portlovers like most.
I myself don't like the standard port-glas, in my opinion it's to small. (or my nose is to big :oops: ) I prefer a bigger (for instance white wine) glass.
Also, do you drink your VP from the same type of glass as aged tawny's or colheita's? Does it make a difference?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I use three different types of Port glasses but as far as I am concerned they are all able to go with the various categories of Port.

a. The "official Port wine glass of the IVDP" was designed by architect Alvaro Siza Vieira at the request of the Port Wine Institute (http://www.ohmdesign.com). One of its unique points of difference is that it has a quadrilateral stem that makes the glass much easier to hold onto compared to a round stem. Additionally, there is a notch or "dimple" in the stem, which is tailor-made for a thumb or forefinger. It fits very comfortably, adding stability, which is especially important at a tasting where you are likely to be jostled. There are other cool features of this glass (like the flat profile of the base) that separate it from its competitors.

b. Riedel Vinum - this is Port glass I use most often. It does not fit as comfortably in the hand as the aformentioned glass style, but I find it provides the perfect balance to the aromatics and flavors without highlighting the alcohol.

c. Spieglau - The taller and narrower profile of the bowl, makes this less perfect in my opinion. The alcohol is defintely more prominent in this glass than the other two, and if you have a wine that already has this as an issue (say Graham's 1977 VP) then I would suggest another glass. Nonetheless, for casual every day drinking, especially for a Tawny Port, this glass does suffice.

My two cents on the topic.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

my favorite glass is the Spiegelau Expert glass. It is made to replace the INAO glass. I really like the form of the Spiegelau wine glass and to me this is the perfect shape and size for port

I also have the IDVP glass and the Riedel and I've made some test with a LBV 1994 from smith woodhouse and the Spiegelau was well ahead.

Here is a link to a web store having the glass :

http://www.wineware.co.uk/index.asp?htt ... ~mainFrame
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

I use the Cognac glass from Schott Zwiesel's Diva range. It is similar in shape to the Riedel, but a bit bigger. I do have the official IVDP-glass, but my nose is too big to fit comfortably in the glass... :oops:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I found an old note of mine on this topic:

I also used to like brandy snifters in my early daze of drinking Port. I own the Riedel Sommelier and Vinum Port glasses and really can not see any difference between them. For everyday drinking I do use the Vinum Port glass. Given the price differential, I would suggest the Vinum.

I also own a dozen of the basic, "Vino Grande" Spieglau Port glasses and don't enjoy them as much as the Riedel Vinum's. My reasoning:

* although I do enjoy having a longer stem that the Spieg has over the Riedel which makes it more pleasant to hold, I find the Spieglau too delicate for everyday use and more apt to hand washing then the Vinum which is very sturdy in the dishwasher.

* Spieg's base is quite small and with the longer stem, is not top heavy, but certainly less stable then the Vinum which has a lower center of gravity.

* The Spieg's bowl shape is quite narrow and does not provide enough room for me to enjoy swirling my VPs versus the Vinum. Although the aperture is identical on both, the narrower bowl shape tends to concentrate the alcohol which is higher to begin with in Port.

I am not saying the Spieglau is not a good glass for drinking Port, I just prefer the Vinum for the above reasons.

Now, there is another alternative which is much newer in the market place.

Here is a description of it, taken from my article that was published two years ago:

Before I make note of some of the most interesting Ports that I encountered during the tasting, I did want to share some other observations. Although I have long been a fan of Riedel's Vinum Port Glass, I have now found the ultimate glass for consuming Port. It was introduced in Portland and Seattle at these Port events. In fact, each attendee was allowed to test drive this glass during the course of the tasting. I immediately perceived various improvements over well-known Port glassware. The "Official I.V.P. Port Wine Glass" is exclusively distributed by Ohm Design.

One of its unique points of difference is that it has a quadrilateral stem that makes the glass much easier to hold onto compared to a round stem. Additionally, there is a notch or "dimple" in the stem, which is tailor-made for a thumb or forefinger. It fits very comfortably, adding stability, which is especially important at a tasting where you are likely to be jostled. There are other unique features of this glass (like the flat profile of the base) that seperate it from its competitors. Congratulations to architect Alvaro Siza Vieira for his great design that was created at the request of the Port Wine Institute.

Since that report, in a comparative Port "glassware" testing, I found the OHM design to have a stem that was right in between the length of the Vinum and Spieglau. Along with its quadrilateral stem and dimple, it was the most comfortable to my hand.

The ever so slightly smaller aperture of the glass, focuses the alcohol more so then either of its competitors (that were contrasted in this test). I am not a fan of having the alcohol made more prominent by a glass though.

Full disclosure: I was the first writer to review this Port glass in print and I later granted permission for its use on the manufacturer's website (testimonial) 2/03, and rec'd a dozen glasses as a thank you. I do not have any further vested or financial interest in this glass or with its manufacturer.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Doug Zdanivsky

Post by Doug Zdanivsky »

Ohm, eh?

I'll have to investigate..

Thanks!!
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

As long as the glass is big enough to accomodate a decent measure of port and your nose it will be fine - if I am serving an old (30 yrs +) port I would want it in a red wine glass to get enough aroma into the glass as the wine deserves. Most port glasses, including those referred to above, are too small to allow aroma or a nose of average size to give of their best

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I don't find that to be the case for my sense, but who am I to argue about yours? :D

Actually, the reason I don't like red wine glasses for Port is that I find that they accentuate the alcohol in the aromatics of a Port and who needs that?
Jay Woodruff

Post by Jay Woodruff »

I always use my Vinum Port glasses for all ports. Perhaps I need to experiment and sacrafice a bottle for science by tasting it from various glasses simultaneously.
- Jay Woodruff.
xxxMonique Heinemans

Post by xxxMonique Heinemans »

Well Jay, that's precise what I was planning to do. The only way to find out for my self.

Monique
Jay Woodruff

Post by Jay Woodruff »

Monique,

It would be interesting to read a tasting note for a port based upon which glass is used. May prove quite useul actually. :)
- Jay Woodruff.
julia reschke

alvaro siza port glass

Post by julia reschke »

Hi. I'm a total port novice, but I'd like to buy a set of Alvaro Siza port glasses as a gift. Does anyone know where I can get them?? Julia
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Julia,

Welcome to FTLOP, its great to have you here.

I'm not familiar with those glasses, but hopefully someone here is. Do you have a link to a pic of them?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I like large red wine glasses if a college aged bartender is pouring the port :twisted:

IDVP - for tawny.

Riedel- for VP.

Either one is splitting hairs as I am fine with either.

We do our tastings with IDVP's as we can round up about 60 or so. The IDVP's seem strudier than Riedel.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:I like large red wine glasses if a college aged bartender is pouring the port :twisted:
That makes two of us :winepour:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com