Problem with Port

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jay Woodruff

Problem with Port

Post by Jay Woodruff »

While not in the offline capital of the world (or even thr country) I have attended many offlines here that included stellar people, and some halfway decent wines. ;)

My issue with bringing port is that, seen as a dessert wine, port is laways pored last. While I love finishing off with a great port, by this time some are leaving, have had so many they do not care, or have stopped drinking so that they can function the next day! :evil:

Dammit people, this is fine port! What is your major malfunction?!?!?

Of course this occurs only in my mind, but I do refrain from bringing really nice port because of this. Does anyone else experience this?

Solutions?? Limit the people/wines? Have a port night? Open the port first? Drink it yourself? Climb on a table and proceed to deliver a scathing speech about their inadequecies? (I would like to reatin a FEW friends)
- Jay Woodruff.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jay,

I agree, I tend to not bring a port to a dinner with more than 4-6 people. It seems that anymore than this amount means that a lot of wine is openned before and during dinner. By the time dinner is done most people are already too intoxicated to really care and/or appreciate a fine port. I tend to save the good stuff for smaller get-togethers. That way people tend to really enjoy a fine port for dessert.

BTW, I've tried this once and it worked out great. I was in the mountains for a weekend get away with a small group of close friends a little over a year ago. Only two of us there had ever had port. So I opened a VP, i believe it was a 1977 Warre's, about 6 hours before dinner. About every 2 hours I gave everyone a small amount to see if they could taste the changes. I didn't tell them what I was up to, and by the end of the dinner, they all commented that it "tasted different" than earlier. They all loved it and had a great time. it really showed them that port (and wine) can change over time.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
simon Lisle

problem with port

Post by simon Lisle »

cofidis 2,
I find the further down the decanter the better it gets :D
Simon