What Ports will you be sharing/drinking for Christmas & New Years?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

What Ports will you be sharing/drinking for Christmas & New Years?

Post by Roy Hersh »

The holidays (including New Years Eve) is a great time to share your Port(s) with friends, loved ones; even mere strangers. [friends.gif]

I am wondering what is in your queue for the next 12 days of this year?

[yahoo.gif] I might as well put in a request too ... PLEASE post your TNs on whatever you wind up opening. :wink:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Markus D.

Re: What Ports will you be sharing/drinking for Christmas & New Years?

Post by Markus D. »

We usually have a good size Christmas dinner (10+ people) and most have had very little to no exposure to port. I've decided to go with a bottle of Taylor's Fine White Port as an aperitif and a Quinta do Noval 2007 VP for desert!

No Douro wines for the table though. Two BC's (2006 Mission Hill Oculus and 2006 Osoyoos Lasrose La Grand Vin - both excellent if you haven't tried them) and for White, Caymus Conundrum from California.

What ports is everyone else serving? And does anyone have a recommendation for the decanting time on the VP?
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

My birthday is the 26th, and I'm hoping to open several bottles. I'm waiting to see who is around to determine what and how many. 1970 Croft or Royal Oporto will probably be in the lineup. If a tawny is called for, I have a Calem 40+ year old, bottled in 1989 that I'm really curious about. I don't have high expectations with 20 years in the bottle, but it could be fun.
Michael Hann

Post by Michael Hann »

The day after Christmas (Christmas day we are going to driving to visit my in-laws and staying overnight) we'll drink a Graham's 2003 LBV and New Year's eve a Taylor's 1983 VP. Also -- I just saw your "the next 12 days" line -- tomorrow evening we'll drink a Fonseca Bin 27 reserve ruby -- stimulated by David Guimaraens's visit to the Guest Forum and various discussion there of the Bin 27.
Bryan H.

Post by Bryan H. »

Good port-loving friends in for an annual new year's visit. They'll be in 3 nights, and the lineup will include:

1970 Fonseca
one or both of the 1964 and 1968 Noval Colheitas from the buying op a few months ago
Noval 40 year
Probably a Graham's 40 year that I just gave the wife for her birthday

Layer on several bottles of good sparkling wine, and I think they are bringing a few nice Chimney Rock cabs along, and should be a good weekend. :winebath:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

This New Year will be special. We will be drinking a 1977 Taylor Vintage Port 3L, along with a 1970 Warre Vintage Port 1.5 or 1963 Croft Vintage. So far, 6-7 people are going, but only 3 are "heavy" port drinkers. Luckily, everyone I know likes port, but not everyone can pound them back.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

On christmas Eve i will be enjoying dinner at friends and there i will open a 1963 Martinez. Today i got it out of my crawlspace where it has been lying for a year now.
Will post the TN afterwards.
If it ain't dutch it ain't much

http://www.erikwiechers.com