Topics you'd like to see in future FTLOP articles?

This forum is for providing feedback on the Website.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Topics you'd like to see in future FTLOP articles?

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am putting together my plan for the next six months and besides a STACK of tastings I have been too since Nov. that I have not included ... what else would you folks like to see covered in articles, that would be of interest to you?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Here are some ideas that I think many people would to have demistify.

As I've said in the other topic, the history of the seal would be nice. Its evolution from 1941 adoption to now. Why bottles bottled in England did not have some.

The different type of soils in the Douro valley, what are their properties and what do they bring to the final product, the Port/Wine.

The different type of vine growing in the Douro, you know the simple Guillot, double Guillot method to grow the vine. Explain them, why some producer use this one or the other, what is the final result on the wines.

Give us some light about why this product is fantastic and what are the main reason for that!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Roy,

One of the things that I love to learn more about is the history of port and the region. On that theme (plus a couple of other random ideas) what I'd like to see articles on are:

1) Tasting notes - can't get enough of them
2) The history of one of the port houses and how it developed into what we see today
3) The impact of phyloxera and odium on the region - how the region was affected and recovered
4) Vintage reports from the 19th century
5) Grape varieties and what each brings to the final blend, where the grapes originated and which well known varieties each Douro variety is related to
6) How growing methods are changing (eg. historic introduction of terraces, modern replacement of terraces with vertical vineyards that make mechanisation easier)
7) How vinification methods are changing (eg. lagares to mechanisation back to lagares to robotic treading)
8 ) The role of the IVDP and how their responsibility is carried through (historic through to modern day); and finally....
9) More tasting notes!

Alex
Last edited by Al B. on Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy Hersh and Mario Ferriera biography's - how did you guys get to where you are today in the industry?