TNs: Quinta do Portal tasting.

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Bob Parsons Alberta

TNs: Quinta do Portal tasting.

Post by Bob Parsons Alberta »

After giving a fund-raising talk about the Snow Goose Festival, I dashed over to DeVines to take part in the sparsely-attended Portal presentation, hosted bu Pedro Almeida Santos.

The reception wine was the NV Quinta do Portal Extra Dry White Port which was OK with splash of 7-up and squeeze lemon. The white offered was the wonderful Branco which was the best white at a recent Portugal wine show. Dry with some spice, good price at $24 Cdn.
The first red was the `05 Malvis which is only $14. Blend of 6 varietals, very fresh, lively and dry. Can hand-sell this one, along with Flor de Crasto!
Next up the`06 Douro which is 65% T. Roriz. Not the best year but I thought earthy/chalky and just OK. There are quite a few entry-level Douros on the shelf, this one...pass. One could not deny however that the next red was top drawer, the `05 Quinta do Portal Reserva. 70% T. Nacional, big tannins, spice, pepper, tar on the nose. Very good quality, much better vintage, only 30,000 bottles produced. Gathered 3 of these for next 2 yrs drinking, $35 Cdn.
The 2001 Grande Reserva was last red tasted, I was not that enthusiastic after the above, this wine is not produced every year. No notes.

To end up, a very hot 10 Year Old Tawny plus the current Jancis rave, the `03 Vintage Port which is only $60 I believe. Deep black, delicious, five star, very smooth tannins.