Quinta do Vallado Tinto Reserva 2004

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

Quinta do Vallado Tinto Reserva 2004

Post by Frederick Blais »

A wine I have been keeping myself away from drinking each time I was opening my cellar, finally I did take it.

When first tasting this a few years ago, I could not say I did like it. There was always a little something that was bugging me after each sip. Tonight I decanted it and tried it with wellington chicken. The color did dramatically lighten from a dark opaque ruby to clear ruby, but still no sign of color fading on the rim. Nose of garden herbs, white pepper, licorice, cherries, current, surprisingly fresh and lively for the 14,5% declared on the label. On the palate, it really took time before all the components got along each other. For the first hour, the acidity, alcool and fruit were all over the place boucing around with no focus, balance was simply not there and I thought for a second to put it down the drain. I let it sit for 30 mins and it was much better. everything seems to be in place now, great fruit purity, red cherries, current, licorice are displayed with medium bodied, high acidity, integrated tannins elements on the palate. Finish is on licorice, plums and a hint of vanilla. The acidity is a little too sharp for me but nowhere near the level it was 3 years ago. It will be interesting to follow, and I hope it will continue to evolve in the right direction. 16/20 +?
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Quinta do Vallado Tinto Reserva 2004

Post by Andy Velebil »

By your TN, it seems this is a youthful wine in an awkward stage of it's life and probably will age nicely?

The other day i grabbed a bottle of the 2007 Reserva (and the regular Douro version as well) and if my work schedule cooperates I hope to try one or both later this week.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

So far I've tried the regular douro and the Touriga Nacional. the TN was very good! I prefered it to the crasto reserva while the Douro was simple with alcool burning a little.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Frederick Blais wrote:So far I've tried the regular douro and the Touriga Nacional. the TN was very good! I prefered it to the crasto reserva while the Douro was simple with alcool burning a little.
what was it about the Vallado that you preferred over the Crasto?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Andy Velebil wrote:
Frederick Blais wrote:So far I've tried the regular douro and the Touriga Nacional. the TN was very good! I prefered it to the crasto reserva while the Douro was simple with alcool burning a little.
what was it about the Vallado that you preferred over the Crasto?
The overall fruit was more attractive and with more intensity and lenght. In 2007 Crasto Reserva looks underripe compared to previous vintages. Still it is a nice effort, fresher and more complex in the early days than what I have been used to.