TN: Caves Velhas 1966

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Al B.

TN: Caves Velhas 1966

Post by Al B. »

Those of you who know me know that I drink relatively little Douro table wine - I firmly believe that any time spent drinking table wine is time lost for drinking Port. However, there are times when I am forced to clear storage space for new bottles of port and this is one of those occasions.

1966 Caves Velhas
From a pale green glass, burgundy style bottle. Decanted for 2 1/2 hours.
Astonishingly deep red in colour, a hint of bricking on the rim but looking 20 years younger than it's true age. Stewed meat and prunes on the nose, typical on a mature claret but something of a surprise on this wine; very enjoyable. In the mouth this is lively and bright; good levels of acidity focus and support the mature fruit until surprisingly grippy tannins come through and fur the inside of the teeth. The aftertaste is big and refreshing with a terrific combination of cleansing acidity and dry tannins combined with generous levels of fruit. This wine is not what I expected at all! It is big, chewy and very lively. The fruit is huge and the wine has many years ahead of it yet. If you are lucky enough to have any of these in your cellar then do not be afraid to sere this wine with food - it will easily cope and be extremely good. 92/100.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: TN Caves Velhas 1966

Post by Andy Velebil »

Interesting bottle. Out of curiosity, did it list the alcohol content %?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

The label was long gone from the bottle, so there was no way to be sure of the alcohol content. From tasting the wine, my guess would be around 12%.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote:The label was long gone from the bottle, so there was no way to be sure of the alcohol content. From tasting the wine, my guess would be around 12%.
thanks
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Niklas J

Post by Niklas J »

Hi Andy & Al,

I've tasted the Caves Velhas from 1947 to 1978 within the last two years. This wine really impresses in its ageing capability. The 1947 for example, tasted 1 1/2 year ago, was remarkable and could easily last another four or five years. The 1964 was also a very fine example. The 1968, 1974 and 1978 also good but on their peak so I wonder if there's been any change of style since. Well, of course it has changed and so has the whole table wine industry in Portugal! When you can pop a 1963 Periquita (two months ago) and drink it with pleasure for more than an hour that says quite a lot about the old style of Portuguese wines :lol:

About alcohol Andy; all bottles I've had has indicated the content where the highest has been 13,2 and the 1947 saying 12,7. Ullage has been at high neck on the older ones, the 1974 was actually the only one going below neck a bit!

Thinking of the 1947; wow what a great wine it was! But best of all, I bought it at auction in Copenhagen for EUR 40, everything included! Those were the days....

Best,

Niklas
Niklas Jorgensen

Remember this in 25 years or so; 2012 is a great year for Madeira wine!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Niklas,
Thanks for the info about alcohol. That must have been a great time trying those old bottles. I hope to one day be able to try some much older Portuguese wines. I can't recall having anything beyond 1990.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I had to do a double take on the vintage as I am buying current vintages that I find to be a good value. Very interesting read.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
guilherme

Re: TN: Caves Velhas 1966

Post by guilherme »

Many years ago I had a wondeful bottle of Caves Velhas Romeira garrafeira 1959,
one of the most remarkable portuguese table reds up to now. Went in a dinner
finished with Noval Nacional 1963 and was not diminished by the great Port

I still have a last bottle in the cellar, waiting for some day to go.

Anyone tried that wine ?

Guilherme