White Port

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

William Strong

White Port

Post by William Strong »

I am going to Porto for a couple of days next week and have very little knowledge of white port. I intend to taste some of course, but which would good examples of both dry and lagrima, to buy (without being too expensive)? I don't see much white port here in the UK.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

William,

If you visit the lodges in Gaia all of them will offer you a white port to taste and will have some for sale. My experience was that most are fairly similar and not to my taste. Most of the lodges I visited suggested using white port to make long cool spritzer style drinks with ice, soda/tonic and lemon in the summer rather than drinking on their own. I'd rather have a G&T 8)

However, I believe some of the lesser known houses produce some older, higher quality white ports that you may be able to find in the shops in Porto/Gaia. If you do find one - expect to pay a small fortune for it!

Please post back with notes from your trip.

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Whatever you do ... find VINOLOGIA and ask for Gustavo or Jean-Phillipe and you'll get to try as many White Ports as you can keep down.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com