iPad - experience

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

iPad - experience

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have been considering an iPad and was wondering what others here think of this item. Have you seen one, used one etc? What do you think of its functionality and QPR?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Re: iPad - experience

Post by Eric Menchen »

I'd rather have a fully functioning netbook, and if you want multitouch, you can spend the extra bucks and get a netbook with that as well. The trade-off is battery life. The iPad does less at one time, with a less powerful processor, and uses less battery in the process.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

The iPad is a closed system. Any application that you put on it you must buy from Apple, which presumes that Apple has approved the app you want. For most people that probably won't be an issue, but for me it's a deal breaker. Steve Jobs likes to preach about open systems, but everything he produces is closed and then he tries to rationalize why it's okay for him to produce closed systems while everyone else has to produce open ones.

Biggest hypocrite on the planet. I won't support him or his company.

That said, the iPad is a solution in search of a problem. As Eric already pointed out, a Netbook can do everything that an iPad can do, does it for less money, and comes with a keyboard. If you really want a multi-touch interface you can get that on a ultra-thin Notebook computer which will admittedly cost more than an iPad, but will also be significantly more powerful.
Glenn Elliott
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

A co worker just imported one from China.

If I could resume it in a quick sentence it would be : " its like a big iTouch, it is most convenient to browse the web on my couch"
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Marc Sherwin
Location: Catonsville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Marc Sherwin »

I have one. Writing on it now. It's a fun toy. It is not a laptop replacement. It is a good Internet reader, book reader and fun game machine. As long as that is what you are looking for then grab one. The apps are great and the overall form factor and interface is a pleasure.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I had the opportunity to see one since my first posting. A friend brought one to our tasting group get together where he was able to put his TNs on the web within an hour of the finish of our tasting. Impressive. I loved the way it shows the book pages turning. Very cool. I also saw the keyboard that could be pulled up and realize it is too small for my liking.

I am really considering something SPECIFICALLY to utilize on airplanes, with good battery life, a normal keyboard, small/light portability and where I could get work done. I fly often enough where my current laptop is prohibitive in size, so a notebook probably makes good sense. Although this is probably a stupid question, I am not the most tech savvy (yeah, like this is news to anybody here) and am wondering if there's a way to obtain wifi internet "everywhere" on the road/overseas etc. at all times without having to be subscribed to a specific service. Do they make "cards" or some sort of plug-in for that type of operation?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy,
if that is the case then you might want to look at the 13" Apple laptop "mac book Pro" that is ultra slim (less than 1" thick), and ultra lightweight at 4.5 pounds. The 13" has a 10-hour battery life so you can type away on a plane, train, or automobile. They make a 15" and 17" but those are obviously a bit bigger and heavier and more money.

The downside is they are a little more money up front, but the tech support and reliability you get from Apple is leaps and bounds better than any other computer I've had and why I am now a lover of Apple computers.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:if that is the case then you might want to look at the 13" Apple laptop "mac book Pro" that is ultra slim (less than 1" thick), and ultra lightweight at 4.5 pounds.
Given the fact that Roy currently uses a PC, not a Mac, I'm conflicted about recommending a Macbook for him. That would require that he learn an all-new operating system and set of intrinsic "rules" in order to get the best use out of his computer. I freely admit that Mac OS - at least now that it is Unix based - is a better operating system than Windows, but I'm not convinced that it is enough better to warrant having to learn to use two different ones. Windows 7 is pretty slick, and while it's still not as good as the latest MacOS from a user's perspective it's close enough that it no longer really matters.

Roy, I don't recall off the top of my head how big your current laptop is, but realistically a notebook probably is not a whole lot smaller (nor is a Macbook Pro). The netbooks that I mentioned before are very small - they're the size of an iPad but have fold-out keyboards - and so you'd probably find that the keyboards are too small for writing.

You can get notebook computers with screens (and therefore keyboards) as small as 12" diagonal, and then practically any size you might want from there up to about 17" diagonal. So if the keyboard is your main concern, I'd measure that on your current laptop and then work from there to determine what you feel would be an acceptable size.

Note the different terms: Netbooks are a relatively new type of PC. They're very small, low-feature computers primarily intended for casual web surfing and lightweight/infrequent productivity. They typically have 10" screens though some of the latest ones have 12" screens. A netbook isn't intended to replace a desktop PC or even a laptop - it's a separate computer that you'd use for specific situations. Notebooks are essentially just very small, very thin laptops. The Macbook Pro that Andy recommended basically falls into this category. They're full-featured PCs in a very small package, but because they're full-featured they're perfectly capable of handling most productivity applications that a desktop PC can handle. A notebook is perfectly capable of being your only computer - a good one could replace your current laptop and desktop (if you have both). Get a docking station and you can even use a full-size keyboard and monitor with one.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Currently I am running a 17" high end Toshiba laptop. It is light for its size, but not good for a 2ndary computer which is all I need right now. I want something so that I can work on newsletters or write up TNs in a Word program, have something to download my photos too, while on Tour and access the net -- while on airplanes. I am not going to do excel spread sheets but may occasionally use PowerPoint. Otherwise, my only requirement is for web access and preferrably overseas as well. Basically, I am looking for something that will be comfortable to use on an airplane and then to lug around during my trips, light weight. Again, this will only be a back up computer, used about a total of two months a year (in terms of total number of days).

I appreciate the insights. Macs look great but the learning curve sounds a bit daunting for someone who has been on Windows and even Vista for the past 15 years and is not the most tech savvy to say the least.

Notebook or netbooks are starting to sound like the way to go. I do need to have a keyboard that will fit my fingers and allow me to type freely and fast without having to worry if I'll be typing gobblydegook because the size of the keys are made for women's fingers or those of a teenager.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

The fact that you want to be able to write using this new computer says to me that you probably won't like an iPad or a netbook. They're just too small to be able to really write, because to me for that you need a reasonably full-sized keyboard. So I would recommend looking at some of the smaller notebook computers that are available. If you know someone who has a Macbook Pro, give it a spin and see what you think. There are several manufacturers who make Windows-based notebooks, including Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba, Sony, etc.

Sounds like a try down to Fry's might be in order. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

iPad works well for certain situations and there are already established tablet PC's doing the same thing. If you have determined the iPad will fit your specific situation, then it "may" be worth it. A friend of mine just got one from her kids. To her it is worthless; an oversized iPhone with the phone. To my chiropractor, he has an app for paitents and scheduling and iPad works great.

I am an Apple basher in general, so my opinions are biased. That being said I have iPhone and generally like it.

I'd wait a year or two until Apple will so kindly open the iPad up to its full potential.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

I am inclined to buy one as a portable web surfer with more "real estate" than a smartphone, and less bulk than a laptop or netbook. I have a Kindle for reading, and like the non-back-lit screen (e-paper) for daylight/outdoor reading. Neither the Kindle (which has a rudimentary keyboard) nor my Blackberry smartphone works well as a web browser, and my laptop is too big for easy portability.

Unless you really work to get good at it, a touch-screen keyboard will not ever likely be your favorite composing device.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Lots of excellent advice here. Thanks guy, I really appreciate it. Sounds like a notebook is going to be the way to go for a computer that will be used almost exclusively on airplanes or some tastings for taking TNs.

Glenn, is Fry's better than Best Buy? I've seen their ads but never been in one or to be honest, even seen one in passing. Where is the closest Fry's?
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Glenn, is Fry's better than Best Buy? I've seen their ads but never been in one or to be honest, even seen one in passing. Where is the closest Fry's?
I don't know about better, but it's certainly larger. There's only one in the Seattle area that I know of, and it's down in Renton. I'd be happy to drive down there with you for a shopping trip if you'd like, and then we could also hit a Best Buy to compare.

Price-wise these things are pretty close to commodities, so I'd be surprised if either Fry's or Best Buy had significantly better prices than the other. The only difference I would expect between them is selection, but even then they're both probably going to have most of the interesting options.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Cool, we'll chat more about this in a few hours. Thanks! :salute: