difference between fonseca and Fonseca & Zeller?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Raj Patil

difference between fonseca and Fonseca & Zeller?

Post by Raj Patil »

Was doing a wine-searcher.com and saw both - anyone know the differences?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Fonseca is the product of the Fonseca-Guimaraens company and is the "classic" Port we know and love.

Fonseca and Van Zeller is a joint venture from Cristiano Van Zeller and Jose Maria de Fonseca. This has NOTHING to do with the FONSECA mentioned above.

Jose Maria de Fonseca is best known for their wines from the southwestern coast of Portugal on a peninsula that gave its name to the wine: Moscatel de Setubal which JM de Fonseca is by far, the most producer. He has also recently joined Cristiano in a project in the Douro. Cristiano is a good friend and used to be the winemaker and co-owner of Quinta do Noval which his family owned for over a century. He now owns Quinta do Vale Donna Maria and is involved in the Douro Boys project and quite a few others. The LBV that he has done with JM de Fonseca is quite tasty.

I hope this is not too confusing.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

Roy - you know me too well. Thanks for the information and background. I was perusing their LBV as one to try. Has anyone else tried F&Z LBV and have any comments or TNs?