Burmester Colheitas

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Matt Slayen
Location: San Francisco Area, California, United States of America - USA

Burmester Colheitas

Post by Matt Slayen »

Does anyone know of any retailers in the US, preferably SF bay area that sell Burmester Colheitas?
I had the luxury of enjoying many bottles of them during my trip to Portugal last summer and look forward to getting some back home.

thanks.
MATT
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

HI Matt, look at this web site:

http://www.wine-searcher.com

You'll see that there is a 1963 burmester colheita that is available in GA state, Georgia I would guess.

I've tasted this colheita last year and it was very good compared to the aged tawnies produced by the same house.

Here in Québec, Canada we have the 1991 Colheita that is available in private importation, it is correct but I did find it was lacking depth and complexity but certainly attractive.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

To me it is not right to expect a Colheita of less than 15 years old to have depth, complexity and be a serious wine yet. Drink the old ones if that is what you are looking for.

Burmester is in the midst of a major importer change, here in the USA and that is why right now there is nothing new in the pipeline. Maybe by early October this will all be "fixed."
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jason Brandt Lewis
Location: Berkeley, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jason Brandt Lewis »

Burmester was imported into California by a company called Adventures in Wine. They imported 1937 and 1963 Colheitas, and 1970, 1977, 1992 Vintage Portos, among others. These were all sold in the SF Bay Area, but whether or not any are still around would require you to call a number of retailers . . . .

Cheers,
Jason
Porto comes from only one place . . . no matter what the label says!
Kevin B. Kelly

Post by Kevin B. Kelly »

I would love to find a 1937 Burmester Colheita, I will look around next time I get out to the bay area. Wine-Searcher and the odd auction house has been the best way for me to find Burmester ports. I have enjoyed those that I have found and will keep my eyes open to see if they start showing up in the market again.

--------------------------
Kevin B. Kelly
A Port Enthusiast
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

I'm do not know about Burmester's US West Coast distribution but I'm familiar with their Importer in the East Coast. It's "Grape Moments".
Web: www.grapemoments.com [site still under construction]

I was told "Grape Moments" has 1985 and 1990 Burmester Colheitas in stock but other Colheitas may also be made available.

/MF.
Kevin B. Kelly

Thanks

Post by Kevin B. Kelly »

Thanks Mario, I will send him a note tomorrow. I really appreciate the tip, they are tough to find wines here in the U.S.

----------------------------
Kevin B. Kelly
A Port Enthusiast
Matt Slayen

Post by Matt Slayen »

Anyone have any word on a West Coast distributor for Burmester?

I have contacted Grape moments to see if they can help me...

But have not gotten a response yet.

MATT
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Sogevinus is the relatively new owner of Burmester and in a recent tasting of their Colheitas (TNs to follow in a few months) I was way impressed as were most others that were also visiting their Lodge in Gaia. Lots of fun!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy, can we say Very impressed 8--)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Andy V. wrote:Roy, can we say Very impressed 8--)
Indeed! I thought their 1963 Colheita was out of this world.

I also thought their 10 year tawny was amazing for the price. I would love to find some in the US.
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

Marco D. wrote:
Andy V. wrote:Roy, can we say Very impressed 8--)
Indeed! I thought their 1963 Colheita was out of this world.

I also thought their 10 year tawny was amazing for the price. I would love to find some in the US.
I 2nd, 3rd, and 4th That!
the '63 '44 and '37 Colheitas were amazing!
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Mario Ferreira wrote:I'm do not know about Burmester's US West Coast distribution but I'm familiar with their Importer in the East Coast. It's "Grape Moments".
Web: www.grapemoments.com [site still under construction]

I was told "Grape Moments" has 1985 and 1990 Burmester Colheitas in stock but other Colheitas may also be made available.
Kevin - You may contact Mr. Jack Couto ( jackcouto@grapemoments.com, office:508-997-0100, cell:508-863-3045), a good friend of mine :), for specifics on his wines.
/MF.
Hey Mario,

Thanks for the tip! I just emailed Jack to see if the 10 Year Tawny is available... killer value.

Hope all is well.
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

Marco D. wrote: Hey Mario, Thanks for the tip! ...
You're welcome Marco. It's always a pleasure.
Amazing tasting we had at Burmester.
Marco D. wrote: Indeed! I thought their 1963 Colheita was out of this world.
No doubt about that. And we all had the chance to try it again at dinner that night (FTLOP Tour Oct 2007) :)
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I've just tasted the 1963 Colheita again today and Yummy!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Paul_B

Post by Paul_B »

I agree the 1963 Colheita was really something special. Much better than a 1964 Calem I had about 2 years ago.

But the price I heard for it in the private import Quebec market was a bit alarming.

I hope this is a sign of the new ownership of some focus in the top quality Colheita segment.

Get in the UK, instead.
Paul
Nikolaj Winther

Post by Nikolaj Winther »

I can understand why you want to try some Burmester. They make som of the best colheitas I've tried - and I haven't really tried that many :roll:

Slightly OT - here in Denmark, the importer is the omnipresent philipsonwine.com (they export too, I think). They have a nice selection of Burmesters ports: Colheitas: 97, 94, 86, 85, 55, 44, 40, 37, 22 and 1890 Novidade(?).
Tawnies: Tawny, Christmas Tawny, 10yo
Vintages: 03, 00 (SQ), 94
LBV: 01, 00.

To get a good price you need to purchace a case at a time. But then col. 86 is selling at $25/bottle (when buying 12 bottles). The bottles from before the sixties are sold individually, but then the '55 is around $500 and the Novidade 1890 is $2800.
What I lack in size I make up for in obnoxiousness.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

The '85 is a decent bottle, in fact I've got one sitting in front of me now (but not opened yet...some sentimental value :roll: ). Burmester makes some awsome Colheita's, especially their older ones, WOW! Worth every penny
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Matt Slayen

Post by Matt Slayen »

Andy Velebil wrote:The '85 is a decent bottle, in fact I've got one sitting in front of me now (but not opened yet...some sentimental value :roll: ). Burmester makes some awsome Colheita's, especially their older ones, WOW! Worth every penny
Andy-

were you able to find the bottle of '85 locally or was it a souvenier from abroad?

MATT
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I picked it up when I was in Portugal this past October. I checked and I don't see it offered for sale anywhere in the US at the moment :(