20 Year Old Tawny Port by Ferreira Duque de Braganca

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Lamont Huxley

20 Year Old Tawny Port by Ferreira Duque de Braganca

Post by Lamont Huxley »

A brick/burnt orange color at the center fading to a light amber rim. The nose is full of dates, dark caramel and toasted walnuts with higher-toned marmalade, dried cherry and spice notes intermingling - very enjoyable. Very good concentration of flavor on the palate with the same date/caramel/nut profile coming across and then giving way to some tangy dried fruit and tangerine. The acidity surfaces on the mid-palate, keeping the sweetness and heat well in check and carries the finish on for a very long time leaving notes of dried figs lingering in my mouth for well over a minute after sipping.

This has gained some elegance and complexity since being opened yesterday and I find myself liking it more with each glass. The length of finish is particularly impressive. Delicious 20yr tawny! 93/94pts
The Port Maverick
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: NV Ferreira 20yr Tawny

Post by Roy Hersh »

This is my personal favorite 20 year old Tawny. I find it a bit hot for a day or so once opened and the following days with some air in the head space of the bottle, this slowly decants on its own and just the oxidation of two days brings out the very best. Day 3, wow! I look forward to your further impressions.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

Roy,

I would have to agree. A few days of air have given the nose a more lifted quality and the heat is nicely integrated. Great stuff - I'm already down to about a third of the bottle :yumyum:
The Port Maverick
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Lamont,
Glad you liked this bottle so much and I have to agree with your note 100%. This is one of the top 20 year old tawny's and one of my favorites. I opened a bottle of this recently and it was superb as always.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

8 days later and this has only become more impressive. Today I'm getting brown sugar, cream soda, marzipan and nougat on the nose... outstanding. I think I'm starting to see the reason for the praise. And ummm.... yes, I'm drinking port for lunch :D
The Port Maverick
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Lamont Huxley wrote:And ummm.... yes, I'm drinking port for lunch :D
Well it isn't just for breakfast anymore! [cheers.gif]
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Lamont Huxley wrote:8 days later and this has only become more impressive. Today I'm getting brown sugar, cream soda, marzipan and nougat on the nose... outstanding. I think I'm starting to see the reason for the praise. And ummm.... yes, I'm drinking port for lunch :D
You're in the second peak! For me, most tawnies are best on days 1-3 and then again on days 7-10.
Glenn Elliott
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Glenn E. wrote:You're in the second peak! For me, most tawnies are best on days 1-3 and then again on days 7-10.
I agree! I also see this in Tawnies.
-Dave-
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Well it isn't just for breakfast anymore!
I had never heard this expression before but my wife used it almost exactly, today on my Facebook page when writing about a Madeira I had before breakfast last Friday morning. Now here it is again ... for the 2nd time. It must be nearing another Blue Moon.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

Roy Hersh wrote:
Well it isn't just for breakfast anymore!
I had never heard this expression before but my wife used it almost exactly, today on my Facebook page when writing about a Madeira I had before breakfast last Friday morning. Now here it is again ... for the 2nd time. It must be nearing another Blue Moon.
I've always heard it as "Beer, it's not just for breakfast anymore." but I think port works just as well. :D
The Port Maverick
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I heard it originally as a slogan for OJ in the 1970s, from one of the Florida citrus marketing organizations. I can't find them on the web now, but found an image with their tree logo from back when they sponsored the Tangerine Bowl in 1980.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Brings back an image of ... Anita Bryant. :beat: