Madeira tastings

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Madeira tastings

Post by Roy Hersh »

I hope that members who participate here, will let the rest of us know if there is going to be a great Madeira tasting whether in the USA or abroad. In 2006, I will probably try to arrange some sort of significant tasting of Madeira and hope that members will join in the fun. I am open to traveling for a great Madeira tasting and in the past two years have flown to the Pittsburgh and Miami areas for great tastings. Please do keep one another informed when you hear about a tasting that is worthy!

Does anybody know if there are any in the works?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Roy,

I would definitely be interested in such a tasting and can certainly contribute. I am in Connecticut, and New York City is only an hour away. Keep me posted if anything materializes

Marco DeFreitas
Jay Woodruff

Post by Jay Woodruff »

I have never even HEARD of a madeira tasting in my parts.

I do know someone from local off-lines though who I have invited over, still planning, to taste through some vintage madeiras I own. Anyone else is welcome to join, but otherwise I'll wait to hear about a madeira tasting someday. :cry:
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

I remember attending a Madeira tasting put on by the Rare Wine Company in New York several years ago... one of the most memorable nights in my life. My notes are here: Madeira Tasting Notes
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I will tell you what. Although this year is all booked up for me, maybe next year I will organize a full weekend of Port related events either on the East coast, Chicago or here in Seattle. I know the owner of Rare Wine Co. and some very serious Madeira lovers across the country and could keep this small and with fantastic wines. I am not going to even think in terms of when and where until early next year though I will follow up on this!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I would be more than interested in such a tasting! I could contribute a few bottles as well. :D
Al B.

Madeira Event

Post by Al B. »

Roy et al
I would also be extremely interested in a Madeira tasting. I have often read about these wines - not least in articles now on this website - but have had very few opportunities to open the few bottles that I have nor excuses to go and buy some of the bottles that I have my eye on (like a 1795 Barbeito Terrantez! How could something that old still be drinkable?). If there is an opportunity to be involved in organising or attending something, I would definitely be interested.

On the other hand Roy, I have the distinct impression that this could be another aspect of your work with Mario Ferreira. There seems to be a definite appetite amongst the people on this forum to take part in Port and Madeira events of the type that you have been lucky enough to attend. Perhaps an annual Grand Tasting event would be of interest and something that could become a business offer for your new venture. (Charge a fee, which is reduced by the value of the wine that each person attending can provide.)

Keep up the good work.

Alex
JohnG

Post by JohnG »

Alex,

You will find the answers to your questions about Madeira longevity in Alex Liddell's eponymous book, published in the Faber series (same one as Richard Mayson's).

Having attended only one Madeira tasting, I can say that although ancient wines may have trophy value, they change so much with age, that they can disappoint. At the same tasting, my favourite was a youngster, a 1907 Malmsey, yet a 1950 wine was not wonderful.

I have bought vintage Madeira in a modest way over the past four years or so; it is a very rewarding wine. One great advantage is that once decanted, it will remain fresh in a well stoppered decanter for weeks, even months. Some wines are so intense, that more than two glasses amounts to overindulgence. It is better to draw out the experience.

The vintage wine is rare, so I think that the enterprising traveller could justify a trip to the US for a tasting. There were fabled stocks kept in Savannah Charleston and other Atlantic ports. I wonder whether they remain?

John
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

John

I appreciate the advice on the book to refer to. I wanted to order myself the updated version of Richard Mayson's book so I now have twice as much reason to go to Amazon.

I also agree with your sentiment on being willing to travel to attend a tasting. Anywhere on the East Coast, Chicago or Seattle would be easy enough to get to from the UK and would definitely be worth the trip - although for the purely selfish reason of convenience I would prefer NY since that is the easiest city to get to from London.

And the idea of your favourite wine being the "youngster" from 1907 made me smile.

Alex