Bottle Splurge Advice

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Daniel Fraley

Bottle Splurge Advice

Post by Daniel Fraley »

Hi All, I'm looking for some advice... I'd like to splurge a bit during the holiday's on one special bottle. I like the drier madeira styles but could go as high as a boal in sweetness. I've looked through countless tasting notes and have narrowed down the following:
1927 D'oliveira Bastardo
1900 D'oliveira Moscatel (too sweet?)
1908 D'oliveira Boal
I would love some advice or alternatives if you have the time? [shrug.gif] Thanks in advance
Justin A

Re: Bottle Splurge Advice

Post by Justin A »

Daniel,
From that list, I would select the Bastardo. Had it a couple months ago and was really attracted to the acidity and the finish. I think you will enjoy it. Cheers.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Justin A. wrote:Daniel,
From that list, I would select the Bastardo. Had it a couple months ago and was really attracted to the acidity and the finish. I think you will enjoy it. Cheers.
The Bastardo will be the driest of your choices.

No Verdelho on your list?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Daniel Fraley

Post by Daniel Fraley »

Moses Botbol wrote: No Verdelho on your list?
Hey Moses, would definitely entertain Verdelho [cheers.gif] Last year I did the 1912 and it was spectacular! Is the 1850 available anywhere? Roy calls this his desert island madeira...I must try!~
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

Another verdelho to consider is the 1932 D'Oliveira's, which is at the dry end of the verdelho range. Otherwise, if staying with your list, I would also recommend the 1927 bastardo. I think that the bastardo really improves with several years in the bottle.
Peter Reutter

Post by Peter Reutter »

My guess is, that the 1900 Moscatel would be to sweet.
Personally I like the 1908 Boal best, but the ones I had were also on the sweet side with LOTS of VA...
The Bastardo I only had twice (Seattle 2007 and Berlin 2011) and both times I was rather disappointed, but that is my personal view of course.

Worth considering are also:
D'Oliveiras 1903 Boal
and the VERY good 1850 Verdelho
(one of the Madeira wines you should try at least once in your lifetime IMHO)
:NotWorthy:
*Wine makes poets of us all!* Hamilton in Silas Weir Mitchell's A Madeira Party.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I'd also go with the 08 Boal.
D'Oliveiras also did fabulous Verdelhos in 1900 and 1905.
Daniel Fraley

Post by Daniel Fraley »

Thanks everyone!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have had that '27 Bastardo on several occasions and have never found it more than just a fun and interesting wine, nothing profound.

My choice, if not too late would be the 1908 D'oliveira Boal which from the short list of 3 is an incredible winner. As you've likely seen the Verdelho tasting article which was released recently, there are many great Verdelho bottlings out there to choose from if you prefer the drier side of Madeira (which I do too).
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Roy Hersh wrote:I have had that '27 Bastardo on several occasions and have never found it more than just a fun and interesting wine, nothing profound.
I have to say that I had the Torreao bottling of that wine and this was a tad better than the (basically same) D'Oli. Don't know why that is but that's the way it was.

The 1870 Torreao Bastardo was excellent, btw.