Old video - Harvest at Andresen (1914?)

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Christian Gollnick

Old video - Harvest at Andresen (1914?)

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Hello,
Here is a fantastic, old video...

http://www.cinemateca.pt/Cinemateca-Dig ... type=Video

It says that this is from 1914... However, the quality is so good that I'm not quite sure... The last part (the loading of the ship) seems to be from "Douro, Faina Fluvial", which is from 1931, if I'm not mistaken.

Roy wrote lately some nice things about Andresen, and I can only agree: The have very nice colheitas, very reasonably priced. I had three colheitas (I think 1968, 1975 and 1985) at "Vinologia" in July - and was positively surprised.

Another surprise was the fact that already back then companies had white letters with their names up in the Douro... I thought this started way later, when the tourism slowly discovered the Douro Valley... But obviously the marketing people did that already much earlier.
What I like very much in this video is the "power treading" on full speed... :) That looks really funny...

Even if most likely none of the shown people are anymore around these days, I would like to thank all these poor fellows for their hard work... Today as in the past: Making port wine is hard work...
Eric Menchen

Re: Old video - Harvest at Andresen (1914?)

Post by Eric Menchen »

Neat. I've used a bottle filler pretty much like the one shown around the 5 minute mark. Luckily we had a pneumatic corker. I must say that the filling of the bottles into the cases looked particularly inefficient. Three different women pick up bottles, walk around to where the case is, and put their bottles into sleeves, and then a fourth woman slides the sleeve on and places it in the case. Why not just put the case next to where all the bottles are on the floor? Did this make a better movie? Same thing for not using a cart to move all those cases at the end?
Russ K

Post by Russ K »

I just want to be the dude at the start that was showing the ladies where to pick grapes...
[shrug.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Russ K wrote:I just want to be the dude at the start that was showing the ladies where to pick grapes...
[shrug.gif]
[rotfl.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com