TN: Broadbent Madeira Colheita 1999

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike K.

TN: Broadbent Madeira Colheita 1999

Post by Mike K. »

No bottling date

Nose - Black pepper, very slight sweetness. Fresh and clean with hints of caramel. Light floral notes.

Palate - Nice mouth feel, sweet and buttery with a hint of caramel. Starts out very sweet and coating, then a gentle acidity arrives and builds through the finish where it comes into balance. Grape soda.

Finish - Chocolate and caramel. Sweet and lingering with good sweet/acid balance.

A very sweet Madeira (from my limited experience). Rich and quite enjoyable, but not overly complex.

89 points.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: TN: Broadbent Madeira Colheita 1999

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have never sensed "grape soda" in any Madeira I've ever tasted. Was this actually the flavor profile that you were experiencing or describing something else?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Roy Hersh wrote:I have never sensed "grape soda" in any Madeira I've ever tasted. Was this actually the flavor profile that you were experiencing or describing something else?
It wasn't a dominant / primary flavor, but something in the background that reminded me of grape soda. This is a different animal than the (relatively few) other Madeira's I have had. It seems closer to a port.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Macerated Tinta Negra? That might give a hint of grape soda.