What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Lucas S

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Lucas S »

Cockburn Fine Ruby

Was not good last night - a diesel of a port. A bit hot as well. However, it opened up today with raspberry and more dusty tannins than I would expect from a regular ruby.

After having the 2015 LBV, Ruby and Reserve Ruby recently, I think I'm starting to grasp the style the Symingtons are going for with the brand.

I want to say they all have a rose flower note, lean more dark fruit, and feel lighter than their concentration would imply.

The LBV was definitely the best of the three, and had this character most pronounced. While I'm not sure it's my style, I think it could be a very differentiated Port with age. I want to try some aged Cockburn now.
All is fair in love and Warre's
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

1994 Vesuvio VP

These are fabulous, but have some of the worst corks that I've ever seen consistently in a given Port. I only occasionally open a bottle that has a solid cork... most of them require a Durand, which is not something that should be needed in a 30-year old Port. They crumble to sawdust if you try to use a normal corkscrew.

The seals seem to be fine... but extracting the corks is a terrible experience and you're going to end up with cork bits in the Port unless you filter carefully.
Glenn Elliott
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

Good to know, I was about to open one when my brother visits at the the end of the month and I am Durand-less and tong-less atm.

I shall open a 95 Vesuvio then, since you said it's ready.
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

2011 Dow VP
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Dow's 2017 LBV. Right after decanting it was very fruity and smooth, but only about 1 hour after being in decanter, it has reduced in smoothness considerably and now in aftertaste you can feel alcohol/spirit rather strongly. I will test further with decanting to understand how the changes occur and maybe get the smoothness back. I like my port to be on the smoother side and lately I have turned to 10 year old tawny's, which seem to be quite smoother than young LBVs.
John M.

Post by John M. »

At my class reunion at Hamilton College I brought a 1983 Dows and my friend a 1994 Smith Woodhouse. The Dows was sublime---really in a good spot yet could be a touch more potential. Just lovely and roundly loved. The SW was also well received--I would say this needs another 5-10 years. Nice contrasts of styles--dry v. dark fruity.
Any Port in a storm!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1985 Niepoort. The hardest cork I've ever extracted. It felt like it was superglued to the sides of the bottle. The cork was thoroughly soaked through but eventually came out in one piece. Alas, the bottle ended up being riddled with TCA. This is the second bottle of a six bottle lot purchased at auction. Both have been undrinkable due to the TCA. I might never open the last four based on this. lol

I have a 1995 Graham's Malvedos standing up right now. I'll assuage my grief over the Niepoort with that later tonight.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:16 am 1985 Niepoort. The hardest cork I've ever extracted. It felt like it was superglued to the sides of the bottle. The cork was thoroughly soaked through but eventually came out in one piece. Alas, the bottle ended up being riddled with TCA. This is the second bottle of a six bottle lot purchased at auction. Both have been undrinkable due to the TCA. I might never open the last four based on this. lol

I have a 1995 Graham's Malvedos standing up right now. I'll assuage my grief over the Niepoort with that later tonight.
Nothing to lose now. Start pulling corks until you get a good bottle.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:43 am
Mike J. W. wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:16 am 1985 Niepoort. The hardest cork I've ever extracted. It felt like it was superglued to the sides of the bottle. The cork was thoroughly soaked through but eventually came out in one piece. Alas, the bottle ended up being riddled with TCA. This is the second bottle of a six bottle lot purchased at auction. Both have been undrinkable due to the TCA. I might never open the last four based on this. lol

Nothing to lose now. Start pulling corks until you get a good bottle.
Yeah that period (1980s and 1990s) wasn't a good one for Niepoort. They had VA problems through 1997, as I recall. The 1985 should be a nicely mature VP at this point, so just keep pulling corks until you get one you can drink. No sense having bad bottles taking up space in the cellar!
Glenn Elliott
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

Not a real Port, but gave the 2019 Barnard Griffin Syrah Port 500ml a shot.

Very different from Port from the outset. 85% Opaque, reserve ruby level of concentration, far less sweet than Port. Medium to strong acidity, subdued spirit. Dry tannins present but not overly brutal. Dark shiraz character, bit of bubblegum and cranberry. A genuine fresh celery note, which quite surprised me. Pronounced dried apricots aftertaste.

Overall, it's well made, but it's more for those who love the Shiraz grape and think Port is too sweet. I do wish I had given it a lot more cellar time.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

1985 Taylor VP. Super dark in the glass with a ton of sediment. Cork came out perfect without needing Durand. Initial sips were, "It needs a day or two" to show off. Wife didn't think the pop and pour was so special. Nor did I. We didn't drink much of it as it's planned more for the weekend.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

'85 Niepoort does vary in the amount of TCA. I wrote off this port after the first bottle due to TCA. Figured I needed something quick one night and opened another and it was fine. The next one too.

Don't lose faith, you'll get a few good ones in that 6 pack.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

For Father's Day: S. Leonardo 30 Year Old White Port -- Quinta do Mourao. Sweet, rich butterscotch on the bouquet and smoky Crème Brûlée on the palate. A fantastic white Port. The acidity is strong but effortlessly blends in to balance the sweetness.
Last edited by Mike J. W. on Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

1991 Croft VP (note posted)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

1975 Quady "VP"
Bought a singleton of this at auction to try, closest real Port I've had to this was the basic Taylor tawny. A little too hot and acidic, unremarkable. Best on second day, primarily red fruits.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

One of the bottles I bought while in Portugal last week didn't even make it to the end of the week. The Osborne 1994 was proof that even the weaker producers made a delicious Vintage Port that year.

But if you own any Osborn 1994 VP, I recommend to drink them in the next decade. Don't leave them too long, they're probably at their peak at the moment.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

1980 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

Opened this at a retirement party for a couple who were married in 1980. It was a hit!
Glenn Elliott
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

LOUISSS J wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:10 pm
Scott Esterly wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:30 pm
LOUISSS J wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:09 pm

Good to know for the Dow 1994. I'll drink one this year (i have 5 bottles).
Could you tell me more about it?
The 94 Dow’s is great. It’s been decanting for 5 hours now and really smoothing out. Am wondering if it’ll be even better tomorrow, which leads me to believe you could cellar this for a long time still. I wouldn’t call it the most complex port I’ve ever had, but it’s medium sweet with a nice dry finish. I think you’ll enjoy it whenever you open one up.
Thanks [cheers.gif]
Finally I opened my Dow 1994. Unfortunately the bottle did not live up to my expectations.
At first it was on chocolate, dates with a touch of pepper but after about 5 hours of decanting the minerality (even salty) took over. The Port was still in good shape with good acidity but it seemed too simple to me... too dry.
It's the first time I've taken such an aged Dow... maybe the less sweet side appeals less to me as I get older. Yet Dow 2011, 1991 and even 2 times of 1994 (taken younger) gave me better experiences.
Bottle question? It doesn't matter, I see everything again in 6 or 7 years.
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

Niepoort crushed, bottled December 2015
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Half bottles of Smith Woodhouse 1994 and Taylor 1955. Very different and both delicious!