What % of your cellar is made up of dessert wine?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

What % of your cellar is made up of dessert wine?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Considering that folks who visit this site are Port and/or Madeira lovers, it is natural to think we'll have folks with more than the 1-5% that we see on other BBs.

I would estimate that my Madeira and Port together make up about 1/3 of my entire wine collection. I realize this is an atypical mix, but look forward to getting a feel for what others have to say.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Same here, Port is about 30% of my cellar. I don't have any Madeira as the Vintage are too expensive for me and the choice is limited to around 5 exemples of sercial, malvaisia and bul of diferent ages.

Other sweet stuff I have in my cellare are canadian Ice wine, sauternes and Tokaji that I really prefer to sauternes that do not buy anymore.

Another 15% of my cellar is made from Douro wines that are starting to get to our market. Discored recently the Cistus brand with their Touriga Nacional, Tinta Roriz and Gran Reserva bottling, very good stuff!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Harris Ueng

Post by Harris Ueng »

Between my better half and myself, here's our breakdown...

66% of our current cellar are dessert wines (including port)
33% of our current cellar are ports (half the dessert wines)

MMmmmmm... Canadian Ice Wine, Sauternes, Tokaji... yum! I went to grad school up in the Finger Lakes and got spoiled on some very reasonably priced, yet decent Ice Wines and Late Harvest Rieslings.

Just had the opportunity to taste a slew of Royal Tokaji Wine Company's line of Tokaji's a month ago and was quite impressed.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

At this point about 1/3 is port/desert wines. Although it is growing larger because I have really slowed down on buying wine, in favor of buying ports instead.
Eric LeVine
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Eric LeVine »

-Eric LeVine It rhymes with wine... http://www.cellartracker.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I'd say about 10% of my cellar are dessert wines. About half that are fortified and half botrytis wines.
xxxMonique Heinemans

Post by xxxMonique Heinemans »

About 15 % of my cellar is port and trockenbeerenauslesen,
but than again, it depents on how much bottles you've put into storage in your celler to know if thats a lot or not..... :?

Monique
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

No idea but i will throw some numbers in for the fun of it. My cellar is not huge, around about 300 bottles. A large percentage of this is Bordeaux but taking all sticky stuff into account (inc Port, Madeira, Marsala, Sauternes, Tokaji Azsu, Seth Efriken, Aussie and Cali stickies) probably somewhere between 10 and 15%. You can guess from this that I have limited numbers of any particular one but lots of different ones - that's the way I like it.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

50% of my modest cellar is Port (mostly VP, some LBV), with an additional 12% of other sweet and/or fortified wines (mostly BA/TBA)...I like sweet wines...and not just for dessert!
Harris Ueng

Post by Harris Ueng »

StevieCage wrote:50% of my modest cellar is Port (mostly VP, some LBV), with an additional 12% of other sweet and/or fortified wines (mostly BA/TBA)...I like sweet wines...and not just for dessert!
Ah! Glad I'm not the only one! :D

My better half and I also have a modest cellar. Though recently, it's been growing at the tragic demise of our wallet! :shock: Though it's not even remotely near the vast scale of other members here at FTLOP. :)
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

My cellar is approx. 1/3 Vintage Port. I have some other dessert wines, but they amount to less than 5% and are probably all Sauternes.

-Dave-