Wine & Port drinkers may be imbibing illicit drug

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Wine & Port drinkers may be imbibing illicit drug

Post by Andy Velebil »

No wonder we all had such a great time in Portugal [cheers.gif]
Drinkers of wine, sherry and port may be unknowingly breaking the law and consuming small doses of the party drug fantasy, an illegal class B drug.

The revelation has brought calls for wine to be tested to see if there are traces of gamma-hydroxybutyric acid (GHB), or its precursor gamma-butyrolactone (GBL) - the active ingredient in fantasy.

Concerns have also been raised about beauty products containing GHB, which have been sold here for years.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news ... d=10756591
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: Wine & Port drinkers may be imbibing illicit drug

Post by Moses Botbol »

I remember when GHB was legal. One capful and let the belligerence begin.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

That is terrible news and now I have to re-think my drinking habits. I'm very concerned about this GHB stuff, really. If I understand the article correctly, the GHB content in wine can be between 4.1 and 21.4 mg/l. The druggies use between 500 and 3000 mg GBH per dose. This means that I get a full dose of GBH if I drink between 23 liters (worse case) and 731 liters (best case) of port.
I'm sure that this explains the dizziness I feel whenever I drink more than 2 cases of port within an evening. Always wondered where it came from.
I will now pledge to myself never again to drink more than 20 liters over a weekend.

Thanks for sharing this devastating news, Andy.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Next, they're going to say that port contains distilled alcohol. [shrug.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Christian Gollnick wrote:This means that I get a full dose of GBH if I drink between 23 liters (worse case) and 731 liters (best case) of port.
I also heard that wine contains water, which itself can be toxic. Keep that in mind when you are getting close to 23 liters, unless your ADH has been suppressed by all the alcohol.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Back in the 1970s, when the FDA determined that if you force-fed a rat the equivalent of 30 cans of diet coke per day for 30 years you might ingest enough cyclamates to cause cancer and so they banned cyclamates, some enterprising person proceeded to test a different substance using the FDA's standards. They were able to determine that - according to the FDA's own guidelines - air causes cancer and should be banned.

O.o
Glenn Elliott
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

Glenn E. wrote:Back in the 1970s, when the FDA determined that if you force-fed a rat the equivalent of 30 cans of diet coke per day for 30 years you might ingest enough cyclamates to cause cancer and so they banned cyclamates, some enterprising person proceeded to test a different substance using the FDA's standards. They were able to determine that - according to the FDA's own guidelines - air causes cancer and should be banned.

O.o
was this NY air, Seattle air or HK air

because I swear that HK air is definitely detrimental to your health.
Disclosure: Distributor for Quevedo Wines in NY
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Eric Menchen wrote:I also heard that wine contains water, which itself can be toxic.
Yup! Just check out the associated dangers. Sorry - couldn't resist... :mrgreen:
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Worry and stress are injurious to health, as is well documented.

Official advice on alcohol intake is based on nothing more than inspired guesswork, and is not backed by scientific research.

Alcohol intake, in moderation, reduces worry and stress.

Therefore:

Port is good for you!

Tom
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Wasn't this what Roger Clemens was injected with? :mrgreen:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom Archer wrote:Worry and stress are injurious to health, as is well documented.

Official advice on alcohol intake is based on nothing more than inspired guesswork, and is not backed by scientific research.

Alcohol intake, in moderation, reduces worry and stress.

Therefore:

Port is good for you!

Tom
AMEN to that :thumbsup: [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com