Easily accessible and affordable port

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Kelly J.

Easily accessible and affordable port

Post by Kelly J. »

Hey guys!

Our dive into the 1983 vintage port has been a huge success! Big surprise, right? [cheers.gif] Wondering if you fellows have any suggestions for an 'everyday port' that easily accessible, affordable, and delicious??

Thanks for the tips :-)

Kelly
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Easily accessible and affordable port

Post by Glenn E. »

The easy answer to that question is to check out the LBV offerings from the producer whose 1983 you enjoyed the most. LBVs are pretty much exactly what you describe - easily accessible, affordable, and delicious!
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

You've not made things easy for yourselves by starting with port as good as the '83s and now looking for an affordable daily drinker! The daily drinkers will be quite different in style, much more primary fruit and less mature complexity.

I completely agree with Glenn's suggestion, but you could also consider the Ruby Reserves that we recently tasted in a global virtual offline - some of those were excellent. You might also enjoy experimenting with 10 year old tawnies to see whether you like that style of port.
Last edited by Al B. on Fri May 11, 2012 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yes, not easy to find a "daily " drinker that's going to show as mature as that '83. But if you can find some mid-late 1990's or older Unfiltered LBV's these would probably get you the closest without having to spend an arm and a leg.

Graham's Six Grapes, Noval's Black, Cockburn's Special Reserve, are just some of the really good Reserve Rubies. But again, these are going to be primary fruit driven and much different than an '83.

Al's suggestion of 10 Year Old Tawny's is a good one. Different stylistically but they tend to be easy to find and are generally less than $30/bottle. Niepoort, Ferreira, and Sandeman are just a few really good ones to try.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

I would say for readily found, somewhat mature LBVs the 1995 Smith Woodhouse is excellent and the 2000 Warre's are very good. Both are somewhat mature--lately I've been seeing 2001 Warres and 2000 SW--haven't tried them but probably worthy. Mostly, these are held for release until ready, so the price is usually $25 to $30 US; a lot of other LBVs readily available need to be aged, but the prices are $15 to $25.

Rubies: The next newsletter is supposed to have a recap of the Reserve Ruby Taste Off (as Andy mentioned). I would certainly try some/all of those. High marks in our group went to Sandeman Founders Reserve, Taylor 1st Estate and Noval Black.

In the end, it's all fun to try.
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

From the Acker online auction I purchased 375s of 1983 SW for $8 each. They are mature, because of the smaller bottle size and/or less than ideal storage, but worth the the price I paid. I see their online auction this month has some 1983 750s for a reasonable price (at the moment). I don't think the prime condition bottles show up in these online-only auctions of the major auction houses that also conduct live in-person auctions, so you are gambling a little bit. But if you want to find some 1983 for a reasonable price, it might be a gamble worth taking.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Kelly,

It depends on what you are really looking for. What are your primary goals in purchasing Port?

Do you want the best Port at the best price, and if so, what is your price range?
Are you looking to increase your knowledge of a specific category of Port, if so, which one(s)?

Please provide us with a little bit more info and we can really help to target specific suggestions for you. [friends.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andrew Maurer

Post by Andrew Maurer »

Sorry to post and disappear! We just completed a long couple weeks of moving and I'm really only now back online:-)

As I type, I am sipping a glass of the Grahams Six Grapes Reserve that my fiance found at a local grocery store for $13. Very different from the 83 we had (lol go figure!), but extremely enjoyable nonetheless. Far fruitier than the 83 but I confess to being surprised at how smooth this is. This port bridges the gap a bit for me between the vintage '83 and the Napa-style 'ports' we've had.

Roy: to your question regarding my goals for this particular post, I'm looking for ports in the ruby category that I may have a chance of finding at the grocery or liquor store for everyday enjoyment. What is good? What is bad?

Cheers everyone! Here's to being finished with this move!

Kelly
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Andrew Maurer wrote:Sorry to post and disappear! We just completed a long couple weeks of moving and I'm really only now back online:-)

As I type, I am sipping a glass of the Grahams Six Grapes Reserve that my fiance found at a local grocery store for $13. Very different from the 83 we had (lol go figure!), but extremely enjoyable nonetheless. Far fruitier than the 83 but I confess to being surprised at how smooth this is. This port bridges the gap a bit for me between the vintage '83 and the Napa-style 'ports' we've had.

Roy: to your question regarding my goals for this particular post, I'm looking for ports in the ruby category that I may have a chance of finding at the grocery or liquor store for everyday enjoyment. What is good? What is bad?

Cheers everyone! Here's to being finished with this move!

Kelly
Hi Kelly,

Hope the move went as smoothly as possible. As for your Six Grapes, you'll find many if not most people here really enjoy this Port, me included. It is among the top of the heap when it comes to a Reserve Ruby (it's legal designation). Others in the category which are typically very easy to find here in the States and still very good are Noval's Black, Cockburn's Special Reserve, and Fonseca's Bin 27. I would recommend any of these, as I also enjoy them [cheers.gif] Do let us know what you end up trying and what preference you have or don't have.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Whatever Costco is selling is a good choice. Trader Joes has good everyday deals for daily drinkers.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Kelly,

When your newsletter gets in your hands within 24 hours, you will see a big article on Ruby Reserve Ports and will find the top of the heap from many cities that did a big tasting. Graham's Six Grapes was not in the top tier in almost any city except one. That being said, you can see from many serious Port lovers which specific names were chosen. That being said, you will certainly see which ones are available in your area or we can recommend where to buy a specific bottling or two if you are interested. I hope you will enjoy the read.

Best regards,

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com